Indigo Mountain is not able to take in every animal in need. We understand our limitations and strive to provide a quality permanent home for a small number of animals rather than attempting to save the world. We are heavily involved in the rescue field with a number of species from pocket pets, Bengal cats, wolfdogs and bears.

We work with a number of experienced individuals and quality organizations across the nation to place non-traditional companion animals. By joining forces with others of like philosophies, Indigo Mountain can help to place a greater number of animals in dire need of a permanent home.

If you have an animal that needs to be surrendered to rescue please understand that most of the reputable sanctuaries are full, however, we will be happy to aid you in your search for a permanent, loving home for your companion. If you need to utilize our placement or phenotyping services, please contact us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . It helps to have current photos from different angles as well as all the vital information on the animal such as age, health, and behavior issues.

Indiana Rescue

2003 & 2004

Tok, Mofassa & Ahkia

In the spring of 2003 we were alerted to a situation in Indiana. A woman had purposefully bred a brother and sister pair of high content arctic wolfdogs. Puppies were due any minute and she had failed to arrange for homes for the litter. With few prospects the breeder turned to Jill Moore-Porter, a nearby rescuer for help in placing the puppies. By the time the puppies were born Jill had successfully lined up placement for the pups. We were one of the placements.

As soon as they were born arrangements were made for us to travel to Indiana to pick up the pup. It was decided that we would arrive the day the pups were to be pulled from the mother to insure that he had every chance at a good start in life and excellent socialization.

We arrived a few minutes after the pups were pulled and found the four of them nestled together in a pile of straw in an old wheelbarrow in the barn. We found no conformity in the litter and oddly enough two of the puppies were a piebald coloration. The inbreeding may be the cause for the odd coloration or there may very well be a piebald husky in the pedigree. All attempts at tracing the lineage have run into roadblocks so we will likely never know.

The Texas Rescue of the North American Wolf Association (NAWA)

The story of the North American Wolf Association (NAWA) has been told and retold over the years. Yet we still receive dozens of calls, letters and emails each year wanting to know what happened, and if the animals are safe.  Most of us that were heavily involved in the situation in Conroe, Texas would much rather put the entire rescue in the recesses of our memories.  However, the events are still clearly etched in our minds eye. Rather than re-tell the story time and time again I would like to share with you a different story. Not a story of the feuding over the dogs, money, prestige, power and notoriety that went on for well over a year, but one of new beginnings. A story about a new life for a group of animals.

Our part in the rescue began in late January, 2003 after a number of individuals had spent months investigating the NAWA organization and its director, Rae “Evening Earth” Ott. During this same period we are told that almost half of the NAWA resident animals had died horrible, lingering deaths due to complications of distemper.  Ms. Ott lost possession of the “wolves” housed at the NAWA “Rez” for failure to pay the rent. The property owner evicted Ott and the custodial care of the animals was transferred to Sam Lone Wolf. Ms. Ott was given 60 days to make full restitution and her animals would be returned to her. Restitution was never made and in time the animals were signed over to several parties including W.O.L.F. who later signed the remaining 8 animals over to us.

Timber's Pack Rescue


For a number of years a woman near Guffey, Colorado quietly rescued wolfdogs that many felt were not adoptable due to poor socialization and shyness. Each animal that came to Timber's Pack was provided with a loving home. It was supposed to be a permanent, loving home, but in 2008 everything went horribly wrong.

On December 17, 2008 we received an email asking for urgent help. Timber's Pack was in a dire situation. Raquel, the owner of Timber's Pack said she had reached the most dreadful point in her life. Her husband had left her with a young baby; she had no money and was on the verge of loosing everything. She had also been cited by her county for exceeding the limit of canines allowed on the property without a special use permit and she couldn't afford the permit. We were given a deadline of December 28th to find homes for 10 wolfdogs and one Newfoundland.

Throughout 2008 we saw an increase in surrenders of all sorts of animals. Many animals were being abandoned or surrendered to shelters and sanctuaries as people were forced to choose what bills they could pay. Some simply could not afford food for their animals. Some were losing their homes or downsizing from the rural home to a smaller home or apartment in the city. Breeders were unloading their surplus, and in many cases shutting down the kennels because breeding puppies or kittens was no longer making money. At the same time rescuers were having more difficulties finding responsible, qualified homes and donations were way down.

So when we received the email we weren't sure what we could do. December in Colorado means harsh weather, frozen ground and great difficulty constructing new habitats. We were far from immune to the slumping economy and had already been forced to turn away a number of animals until we saw a rebound in donations to help pay for food, construction and medical expenses. December is also a time when we see very few volunteers at the sanctuary so we were also stretched to our max in caring for our own animals and didn’t have any extra time to spend on a rescue of this magnitude.

We searched high and low for homes locally, but ran into brick walls almost everywhere we turned. The only other Colorado sanctuary willing to help was Mission:Wolf and they could only handle one male if he could be walked into the sanctuary as the roads were snowed in.

Fortunately, Raquel had also contacted Karen Cooper and Sue Bowers as well as other rescuers across the country and by the deadline they were successful in finding homes for everyone. We just had to help figure out how to get them to their new homes, and how to pay for it. Six of them found refuge in TN and NC, three were placed in CO and two more were initially going to NM for fostering. The logistics of transporting these skittish wolfdogs halfway across the country in such a short time gave us all gray hair, but everything fell into place just before the New Year.

It took the better part of 3 days to corral the animals. Raquel's initial plans for capture and crating horribly backfired when the first of the animals became so spooked that she leaped out of the lockdown Raquel had her in and into an adjacent pen. After that fiasco the move was put on hold and Raquel had to go back to square one. She had to plead for the transport driver's patience and had to locate a veterinarian willing to come on site with the chemical immobilization drugs needed to dart the animals. After a day of phone calls Lisa Eskridge of the Eskridge Veterinary Clinic was finally willing to clear her afternoon schedule and drive out to Timber's Pack. We discussed drugs and dosages and quickly went to work. One by one each of the animals were darted with the immobilization cocktail Lisa had provided. One by one they each lay down, but as we started towards them they each stood up, shook off the drug and ran. Lisa quickly re-evaluated and increased the dosage and we tried again. But they were on to the sight of the gun that made a second round of darting very difficult. Then the sun began to set behind the mountain and the temperatures plummeted. Below freezing temperatures wreaked havoc with the plastic darts and we were concerned for the animal's health if immobilized in the frigid temperatures. So we had to once again postpone the transport for the next day.

The following morning Lisa arrived early and with the help of David Roos and Shane Eskridge we were finally able to collect each of the animals that needed to be transported that day.

In the end all of the animals were safely transported to their new homes in NC and TN and CO.

Wahya and Heart were initially brought to Indigo Mountain for a brief stay before being transported to a foster home. Then we learned that the foster was not in a legal area. Since the two had been legally signed over to Indigo Mountain we refused to ship them to the foster.

By this time we had determined that Wahya was far from your typical “adoptable” dog. We found Wahya to be so shy and fearful that he in all likelihood would never have found a permanent, private home. He clearly has trust issues with humans. Wahya was heavily bonded to Heart, a sweet lovable Newfoundland. So it is very clear that the two had to remain together if there was any hope in teaching Wahya to trust again.

So we shuffled some animals around and made the new accommodations work for Wahya and Heart. Then we went to work trying to build trust with the shy boy.

Two weeks later we got yet another distress call from Raquel. She had left her mountain home and relocated to a small house in town with Suye'ta, a high content male and a low content female. Suye’ta was not happy in his new environment and Raquel was having difficulties with him. He was tearing apart the kennel and she just wasn’t sure she could keep him contained. At that point we had only one option for Suye'ta. We had one older female high content wolfdog living alone in a large habitat. If Suye'ta could co-exist with Ouray we could house him at the sanctuary. Otherwise, Raquel would have to transport Suye'ta back to Texas to his breeder. So Raquel brought Suye'ta to Indigo Mountain the next day to see if the pairing would work. Ouray wasn't thrilled at first, but they warmed up to one another over the next two days and eventually became very bonded to one another.

Today Wahya and Heart are still together and doing great. Wahya has dropped many of his walls and is approaching people so long as his guardian Heart is alongside. Suye’ta is also doing amazingly well. He lost his mate Ouray a few years ago, but has found happiness with Shastina.




Your donations provide food, vet care and habitats for animals in need

Donate Now!

Animal Sponsorship

Your animal sponsorship will provide food, enrichment, veterinary care and a habitat for the animals.

Sponsor an Animal!


Get involved, care for animals, help fundraise, construct new habitats

Volunteer Now!