About Us
The Animals
Virtual Tour
Contact Us

We want to keep in touch with you. Sign up for IMNC e-mail updates!

The NAWA (North American Wolf Association) Rescue

    The story of the North American Wolf Association (NAWA) has been told and retold over the years. Yet we still receive dozens of calls, letters and emails each year wanting to know what happened, and if the animals are safe.  Most of us that were heavily involved in the situation in Conroe, Texas would much rather put the entire rescue in the recesses of our memories.  However, the events are still clearly etched in our minds eye. Rather than re-tell the story time and time again I would like to share with you a different story. Not one of the feuding over money, prestige, power and notoriety but one of new beginnings.  One of a new life for a group of wolfdogs.

    Our part in the rescue began in late January, 2003 after a number of individuals had spent months investigating the NAWA organization and its director, Rae “Evening Earth” Ott. During this same period almost half of the NAWA resident animals had died horrible, lingering deaths due to complications of distemper we are told.  Ms. Ott lost possession of the “wolves” housed at the NAWA “Rez” for failure to pay the rent when the property owner filed a suit for eviction. The custodial care of the animals was transferred to an individual and Ms. Ott was given 60 days to make full restitution and her animals would be returned. Restitution was never made and in time the animals were signed over to several parties including W.O.L.F. who later signed the remaining animals over to us.


    Along with W.O.L.F., we offered our services in hopes of getting the animals vaccinated and on the road to recovery so that the animals could be placed.

    On February 1, 2003 we arrived that the “Rez” for the first time.  We found a thick shroud of fog enveloping the swamp and a heavily rutted dirt road covered in stagnant water.  We also arrived to find Jerry Mill’s pickup truck stuck up to its axel in the mud.  We carried most of the supplies in through a half mile of sludge to find a collection of cages thrown together on the highest, driest spots of the “Rez”. 

    From the stories we had heard we expected horrid conditions and were relieved to see clean cages although many of the pens were full of stagnant puddles of surface water.  Most of the cages were tiny 8x10, 10x10 or 10x20’ equipped with roofs laden with leaves, pine needles and debris making it difficult to get any direct sunlight. Most of the cages weren’t more than 5’ high.

    We had also been led to believe from reading NAWA’s website and posts or pleas for help of one rescue or another that we would be dealing with wolves. Upon closer evaluation most of the animals were mid content wolfdogs at best.  Some were misidentified un-socialized Siberian huskies.

    Pat Wendland of W.O.L.F., Cheryl Budler and I got to work as quickly as possible. 

    We found some to be in fair health; however most of the wolfdogs were running fevers of 104-107°.  Some had festering wounds.  We found several to be heartworm positive.  Most of the animals shared one thing in common, they were underweight, dehydrated and their blood work was all over the chart. 

    After several days of hunting we were able to find a local veterinarian who would accompany us to the “Rez” and help with running the blood work and vaccinating them for rabies.  It was determined that none of the animals were healthy enough to move, so we quarantined them at the Rez and arranged for a change in diet and treatment under the vet’s guidance.

    By the time we returned to TX in March, 2003 most of the animals were well on the way to recovery and ready to make the first step towards their new lives.  At this time, two of the huskies were placed in a private home, two of the wolfdogs went to an experienced private owner, two of the high contents went back to Colorado with W.O.L.F., the older animals went to a local wildlife sanctuary and the remaining 9 went to stay with Jerry and Donna Mills while their new home at Indigo Mountain was under construction.  A 10 year old died of complications of heartworm several weeks after arriving at the Mill’s. Although Max didn’t make it his last days were full of love and caring. The Mill’s made sure of that.  The remaining 8 rebounded nicely and began to thrive on the new diet and care.

    By August, 2003 their new digs were ready and we made one last trip to Texas.  We found the animals to be well on the way to recovery physically, yet they had a long way to go mentally. Without exception, each animal had to be chemically immobilized to load into a transport cage.  As we darted one after the other, the vet gave them a quick physical exam and they were ready for one final leg of their trip. 

    After a long 19 hour trip Ahyoka and As Gaya Dihi were the first to be carefully removed from the transport vehicle and carried into their new habitat.  Ahyoka’s cage was unfastened first, and then Dihi’s door was opened.  They each hesitated briefly, took several cautious steps and then burst away from the cage. We all sat and watched as they ran full speed, and then trotted in large circles. They leaped over felled trees, curiously investigated the stock tank full of fresh, clean water.  They climbed in and on top of their new house and only after deciding they were safe, secure and at home they laid down in the shade of a pine tree and watched as we moved on to release their siblings.

    Lila Wi and Wascin were next.  Lila Wi leaped from her transport cage immediately and continued to lope up and down the hillside for quite some time while her sister, Wascin made a beeline for the stock tank. She leaped into it, splashing and dancing in the water and then leaped out to follow Lila Wi.  It didn’t take Wascin long before she hollowed out the dirt under an old tree stump and laid down to rest. 

    Next came the final four, Yana Usdi, Welela, Aiyana and Nahima.  The four cages were set side by side in the shade.  As each cage was opened the girls looked to Yana for guidance.  As he nudged the door wide open and trotted down the hill, the girls followed. They packed together for security for quite some time as they investigated an outcropping of boulders at the bottom of their new habitat. Then they began to run the fence line to the top of the hill and stop to look at all the volunteers gazing at them.  They no longer had the scared, confused look in their eye.

    In the days that followed their release the animals continued to grow calmer and more at ease in their new surroundings.  They quietly listened to the Indigo Mountain residents as they serenaded the new pack.  After several days they each tentatively tilted their heads back and joined in the chorus.

    At the time of this writing all of the animals have settled in and seem to be thriving and happy.  Sadly, Wascin was diagnosed with hereditary glaucoma in 2004and proved to be difficult to live with. Eventually, she had to be removed from the enclosure and her eyes had to be removed. Lila Wi has found herself a mate.  Nacona, a mid content coydog has been an excellent playmate.  Wascin is doing very well.  Her senses of smell and hearing have become even more acute since losing her sight.  With a little special care, a lot of peppermint extract sprinkled on the corners of her dog house and obstacles in her path she has learned to maneuver very well.

    Dihi and Ahyoka are no longer found huddling in the corner of their 10x10’.  They can be found chasing one another throughout their habitat.  Still wary of humans they prefer to watch us from a distance, yet readily greet us at the fence for their chicken each night.

    Yana Usdi no longer bluff charges at people or stands guard over his harem of girls. Instead, he lazily watches as we play with Welela.  Always the hummingbird flitting around teasingly. Aiyana fulfills her role as alpha female of the pack. Always keeping order.  She is intrigued by her human caregivers. She comes close enough to sniff a hand, yet doesn’t invite one on one attention as of yet. Nahima desperately wants to trust humans, yet Aiyana always keeps her sister just out of reach.

    Each day is a new adventure to each of the Texas 8.  They have put their past behind them and are clearly on the road to trusting humans again.

    Anyone involved with the rescue of animals will tell you it is a rollercoaster ride full of painful headaches and giant rewards. The NAWA rescue was full of both.  It tested each and every one of us. It pushed us to the limit emotionally and physically. It consumed the better part of 2003 and opened many eyes to the plight of sanctuaries across the country.  It was also a very painful reminder of the lengths that some will go to in their exploitation of animals and illustrated perfectly the greediness of the human race.

    Regardless of everything we all went through, we kept our promise. The animals are safe, happy and healthy and teaching us something each day.



Many people made the Texas Rescue a reality. This is dedicated to each and every one of you, and to the memory of the NAWA animals that didn’t make it.

Thank you to those that gave unselfishly to make the rescue a success!

Doug and Kathy Joslyn

Scott Mac Gregor

Cheryl Adams

Robert Bishop

Cyn Curnan

Joan Ford

Bemis Corporation

Lori Matthews

Aldytha Stewart

Colette Talkington-Pfaehler

Suzie Myers

Dawna McConnell

Kerna Sveen

Sheri Pigo

Niki Ciezki

Jean Whitten



Some gave in Memory of Danté. May his death not be in vain

Dian Lea

Marsha Penner



Thank you to Jerry and Donna Mills who fostered 8 wolfdogs for the summer



Thank you to the Indigo Mountain Volunteers. Without your hard work and dedication the rescue wouldn’t have happened.

Kristi Angel

George Bianchi

Renae Delaware

Peg Fennimore

Marsha Gilbert

Ian Kernan

Tenzing Kernan

Sue Masden

Dave Michaelson

Brock Morrison

Jake Morrison

Dave Rizer

Ginny Smith

Raewynn Smith

Arnie Spencer

Amy Warnicke

Justin Watson

Ashley Malmlov Harding

The CITs from Camp Chief Ouray

Billy Woods



    Please click on the thumbnails below to see some of the photos of the hard work many people put into this rescue.  Please go in order from left to right.





| Back To News |


          Sitemap | Home | Contact | Webmaster

          All images and content unless otherwise stated ©Indigo Mountain Nature Center. All rights reserved